Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Is love passive?


1 Cor 13:4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy, love does not parade itself, it is not puffed up; 5) does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6) does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7) bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8a) Love never fails.

1 Cor 13:13 And now, abide faith, hope love, these three, but the greatest of these is love.

Most people know these verses. They are read at Christian and secular weddings alike. They are written on plaques, and stitched into pillows. Many can quote them, in part or in full. I wonder, though, if we really know what they means. Verses four through six are somewhat self-explanatory. It is verse seven that caught my attention today, particularly the latter part of verse 7 where it says “(love) endures all things.” I saw love as a small blond child patiently waiting out a rainstorm, completely inactive, but present. She was enduring the worst storms of life. My view of love was a thing, being acted upon by outside influences, but quietly withstanding, continuing to exist. Somehow, this morning, I saw it completely differently.

Love is an active participant of daily life. It is there, available for me as I go through my day. I thought about how hard it is for me to act lovingly sometimes, particularly while driving, or impatiently shopping, or when my kids dare to reveal their true nature, as sinners dependent on the grace of God. I realized that the enduring nature of love is an active endurance. I believe what that verse means is that the activity of love (long suffering, kindness, lack of envy, lack of pride, putting others first, all the things mentioned in the preceding verses) endures the daily difficulties of life, not just the storms. Love is not something that should only exist, quietly, deep within us, it is something that should be seen, its unselfish character unique in the trials it endures. This verse says if I have love, I can be patient when my kids talk back. If I have love, I do not have to envy, but I can be content, even happy for those who have been blessed more than I have. If I have love, it will be seen, it will be active, it will change the way I respond to life’s challenges. Where does love come from? 1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.

Christians, let’s love with a love that is visible to all. Let’s take God up on His promise that love will endure all, not just the great catastrophes, but the daily inconveniences.

No comments: