Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Putting together the What to dos, with the How it's dones


I began a personal study for, at best, mixed motives. I ended a relationship with a family member who called himself a Christian. In my zeal to call him into account, I began studying the New Testament looking for what a Christian life looked like. I wanted to prove that this person was not a Christian. I was doing a good thing, studying the New Testament, for a bad reason, not my own sanctification, but to shine light on someone else’s sin.

God did a work in my heart. First, I started reading a book called “Because He Loves Me” by Elise Fitzpatrick. Second, He supernaturally took away my anger and thirst for vengeance, and replaced it with forgiveness. This completely changed my study of what a Christian life looks like. Now I realize that keeping God’s commandments is evidence of the Christian walk. It is not what we have to do to be saved, it is what we are empowered to do once we are saved.

The Scripture that started it all was 1Cor 15:50b “nor does corruption inherit incorruption."

I wondered if you could tell a Christian by their actions. I still do. I copied all the scriptures I saw that addressed, not a believer’s heart, but their behavior. I will try to bring in the surrounding scriptures so I can learn why and how a Christian behaves like a Christian.

My prayer is that God would apply this to my heart so I would know why I should live a Christian life, and where the power to do so comes from.

1Pet 2:24 (21-24) 21) For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps: 22 )Who committed no sin, nor was deceit found in His mouth, 23)who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return; when He suffered, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to Him who judges righteously; 24)who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness- by whose stripes you were healed.

I think the above verses are the linchpin of what I am trying to learn. Verse 24 tells how we can follow the example of verses 22 and 23

This is the What to do:

Gal 5:19-24 19) Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20) idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, heresies, 21) envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like, of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22)But the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23) gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

This is the How it's done:

Gal 5:24-26 24) And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25) If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26) Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.

I think the above verse is saying that if we try to produce the fruit of the spirit by our own work, we will become conceited. The work of the flesh is “work” things we do. The fruit of the spirit is “fruit” something that spontaneously appears and grows.

I have a feeling that as I go through this very extensive study, I will find all the "hows" right along with the "whats".

No comments: